Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Straw that Broke the Camels Back

If you know me or have ever seen me, even in pictures its pretty obvious, i'm HUGE. And by HUGE I mean extremely fat. Morbidly obese. They say that for my height, I should weigh at a minimum 130 lbs. Maximum is 164 lbs. I weighed 334 pounds...200 pounds more than I should. I knew I was fat, I knew I was getting fatter, and hopefully I am at my fattest, and if I have anything to do with it, I will get a little less fat.

I have heard a lot of stories of people losing weight. The stories all start out the same. "I was sitting on a bus one day and looked down and saw my fat jiggling and it was then that I realized just how big I really was." I heard that one on my mission. Been there done that. Or how about "My little girl came up to me and told me I was fat. That was when I decided to do something about it." Every weight loss tale starts with some having a "wow, I'm really that fat" moment. Mine has one too.

My oh shit moment came when my family came up to Island Park, rented a cabin and spent some time in Idaho and Yellowstone Park. I had a pair of pants that were kind of worn that had taken just about as much stress as they could take. I went to get into the car and the crotch split out. It really wasn't that bad at first but as time went on, I ripped them even more as we got in and out of the car all day long. By the end of the day I knew I couldn't wear them the next day without making the guys jealous while their women stared and whistled. So I thought since I didn't bring a change of pants, I would just wear my dads pants and tighten the belt.

I didn't need a belt.

I got home and on that next wednesday I went to this little community center in rexburg that smells like someone just sent the "browns" to the "superbowl." I thought "what am I doing here" and suddenly remembered after looking at the cattle herd, why I was there. Weight Watchers weighed me in at 334.8 pounds.

That was last wednesday. This wednesday I weighed in at 326.2 pounds. 8.6 pound weight loss in one week. Funny thing is I didn't even lift a finger if I didn't have to. No working out, no evening walks, no fishing trips, no scouting out elk, just watching what I ate. I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything, I was still able to live and have fun and eat a hot dog that was cooked over a fire and a handful of sour cream and cheddar chips.

This blog is going to track my weight and activity until I hit my goal. I would like to be right around 200 pounds or less. I have a long journey but this weeks achievement of 8.6 pounds was just what I needed. It gives me motivation and something to look forward to every week.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

thats cool that you had an oh shit moment that made you realize you needed to lose weight I am proud of you for losing 8.6 pounds in a week that much weight took me about 12 days to lose but now I have gained it all back plus a few.
ken

Jamie said...

HEY BENJI! so glad that you did it! That's probably the funniest oh crap moment ever! Keep Going! i'm at 5 lbs!

Meg 'n Heath said...

i'm so proud of you keep it up